While we aren’t much into skiing, we are very much into the whole ski-lodge drinking bit.
The Yard Sale was a cocktail we stumbled upon while researching split-base cocktails that incorporate whisky and was instantly intriguing because it uses equal portions bourbon, rye, and calvados as the base spirit.
The cocktail is a “secret menu” cocktail meant for skiiers at the Lone Mountain Ranch in Big Sky, Montana. Its name is based on the skiing term “yard sale”, which is an absolute skiing wipe-out and meant to be boozy enough for the yard sale victim to gain the liquid courage to return back to the slopes.
Officially, the cocktail is supposed to be barrel-aged for 3 weeks, but we made it straight and it ended up being a lovely boozy and sweet cocktail with a hint of spice.
- .75 oz Bourbon
- .75 oz Rye
- .75 oz Calvados
- .75 oz Sweet Vermouth
- 2 Dashes Angostura Bitters
- .25 oz Simple Syrup
- Garnish: Lemon Twist and Maraschino Cherry
Old Fashioned Glass
- Add all ingredients to shaker.
- Shake and strain into cocktail glass.
- Garnish with cherry and lemon twist
- (Optional) Finish with barrel aging for 3 weeks