The late, great Gaz Regan, a long time cocktail columnist for the San Francisco Chronicle published the recipe for this drink in his wonderful cocktail app.
The drink was originally created by Noah Heaney from Argyll Gastropub in Denver Colorado. Balancing the legendary peaty, iodine rich Laphroaig 10 with Fernet is a bold move, and I’m not sure it’s entirely successful. As for our review, I’d say that I understand the theory behind this cocktail, and I understand why some people would like it, but it’s not for me. Fernet and Laphroaig are a powerful combination.
- 1.5 oz Laphroaig 10
- .75 oz Fernet Branca
- .5 oz 2:1 Demerara simple syrup
- 1 barspoon verjus blanc (you can omit this)
- Add all ingredients to a mixing glass with ice.
- Stir and strain into a chilled glass.
- Flame an orange twist over the drink and discard.