Last week we visited the Ritz-Carlton to check out their Champagne bar. The hotel is situated between Union Square and Chinatown, up some stairs, and it’s a bit of a pain to get to. The champagne bar wasn’t open yet, and was a bit pricier than we were in the mood for, so we visited the main bar instead. We spotted a few bottles we hadn’t yet tried and ordered a Glenmorangie Lasanta.
Glenmorangie Lasanta Review
- Score - 7/107/10
Nose: Honey, orange, and (of course) loads of raisins.
Palate: A lot of chocolate and raisins at first. Cooked oats and maple syrup. Oatmeal raisin cookies. Vanilla and hazelnut. Cinnamon and honey on the end with a whisper of heat on finish.
Is it a think-y whisky? No. But I really enjoy it and am thinking of picking one up as a post-dinner treat during the weekdays.
Rich and comforting. Reminds me of an alcoholic oatmeal raisin cookie. I would love to drink this in a ski lodge. Excellent price point ($48). Saw this review by scottmotorrad on /r/scotch and wanted something dessert-like as a post-lunch treat. So I ordered it! It was $19 for the pour, so I got ripped off but didn’t realize until I googled it. Ah well, I enjoyed the sip though.
- ABV: 43%
- Lasanta is “warmth and passion” in Gaelic
- 10 years in ex-bourbon casks and then 2 years in both Oloroso and Pedro Ximenez sherry casks
- Looked it up later and there are some reviews that indicate while previous batches were not as favorable (they featured only Oloroso casks), the new ones with PX casks are preferred
- The 12-year Lasanta has been placed in the Top 10% of whiskies by Proof66.com, which aggregates liquor ratings from the San Francisco World Spirits Competition, Wine Enthusiast, and others.
More about Glenmorangie
- Started in 1843, owned by the Glenmorangie Company which also owns Ardbeg.
- The distillery features the tallest stills anywhere in Scotland which makes for a lighter spirit.
- Glenmorangie is Scotland’s best selling single malt, almost continuously since 1983.
- Glenmorangie owns their own forest in the Ozarks and leases their casks to Jack Daniel’s and Heaven Hill distillery for them to mature bourbon for four years.