I’m a big fan of Gaz Reagan’s cocktails, and the musings in his long since discontinued San Francisco Chronicle column. Looking through his writings, I came along the Ajax cocktail. The drink hails from Romania, created by Calin Ioaniciu and features two different types of cherry, and Genever as a base spirit. If that wasn’t unusual enough, it also contains a dollop of balsamic vinegar.
Genever is gin’s ancestor, originally made by distilling malt wine up to 50% and papering over the harsh taste with juniper berries.
The article doesn’t have the full ingredients, so I played around with it a bit to create something I really like.
- 2 oz Genever
- .5 oz Cherry Brandy (Schladerer Schwarzwalder Kirschwasser)
- .33 oz Aperol
- .25 oz Maraschino Liqueur
- 2 Barspoons White Vinegar
- Add all ingredients to a mixing glass with ice
- Stir and strain
- Garnish with an orange slice and cherry