As a Boston native, I was excited to see the Travelling Banana cocktail pop up on a feed. Though I was born and raised in the area, and went to school in Somerville, I’ve unfortunately never made it out to Back Bar, which opened in 2011, long after I departed for the West Coast.
The Travelling Banana, originally created by Sam Treadway, is a split based drink, half rum and half Laphroaig, with a (very very) healthy measure of Giffard’s Banana Liqueur (the original recipe calls for 0.75 oz). We played around with the template a bit, dialing the Sherry and Banana way back, and I think came up with something much tastier.
- .75 oz Laphroaig
- .75 oz oz Aged Rum (Plantation XO)
- .5 oz Amontillado Sherry
- .25 oz Giffard’s Banana du Bresil
- .25 oz Orgeat
- Add all ingredients to a cocktail shaker
- Stir intensely and strain into cocktail glass
- Garnish with banana slices