I was really hesitant to buy this whisky for a lot of reasons:
- As pointed out on a Reddit scotch thread, it’s expensive (each committee release is getting pricier and pricier). This is especially true in California, where retailers like K&L were selling it for around $140 instead of the $110 RRP (recommended retail price)
- It’s non-age statement for that price
- I haven’t been that impressed with rum cask finishes
I’m happy to say – I am utterly delighted with this whisky and am glad I bought it. I have already imbibed a fair amount of it.
Ardbeg Drum Committee Review
- Score 8.58.5/10
Nose: Iodine but sweet banana cream pie. Coconut body lotion. Grilled seafood in sweet Thai sauce.
Palate: Salt. Banana salt water Taffy. Peat lingers throughout but the sweetness of grilled pineapples and stonefruits. Caramel.
Finish: Banana runts residue. Ash. Long finish. Does not have the youthful burn expected of a Non-Age Statement (NAS)
TLDR: “Thai roast fish.”
Overall: 8.5/10. Outstanding. We were hesitant to buy because it keeps getting pricier and pricier, but this bottle was worth it. We would definitely love to try a bottle of whatever rum they’re finishing it in!
Bought for: ~$140 at K&L
- ABV: 52%
- Cask: Finished in rum
- Age: No age statement
- Limited run release, made for Feis Islay festival in 2019.
About Ardbeg Distillery
- Distillery is known for having the best food of any distillery in Islay
- Generally a very peaty whisky. They have a number of their rarer releases in their tasting room.
- They have a variety of tours available, see map for more details.